Monday, August 18, 2008

How much should I build into my price when I list my home?


This is a common question that sellers have. As you can see from the graph the list price to sales price ratio has bounced between 96% and 97% for 2008. So, what this means is, if you have a home listed for $300,000, the average sale price of that home will be in the $288,000 (96%) to $291,000 (97%) range. The reality is that you as a seller will determine whether you will take an offer or not. If a buyer offers you 90% of list price, then don't have to take it. If you have priced your home well, then your list to sale price ratio could be closer to 100%. I've seen homes that are well priced go for 100% of the list price or higher in this market. I've also seen the opposite occur. I've seen where a home has been on the market for awhile and/or needs quite a bit of work and a motivated seller lets the home go for 90% of list price. So, you always have to be careful when looking at averages because every home and situation is different. As a professional REALTOR®, I go over the whole process when I meet with a seller. Averages are helpful in giving you facts when you make your decision on price, but they are not the whole story.

No comments: